It contains, for the purposes of the paupers, one large general dining-room, kitchens, store-rooms, sick-rooms, &c.
Eventually, in 1848, the Poor Law Commission allowed the Kendal Guardians to operate an "outdoor labour test".Designed by Richard Peddar, it was described as "a neat, airy, and pleasant building, large enough to contain 80 persons." In 1776, Peddar drew up plans for an additional wing. The paupers were "farmed" by a contractor who was paid by the township. The union erected a workhouse in 1811 at a cost of £2,150.